Saturday, March 7, 2009

our first meeting

Yesterday morning, I walked to JJ Bean, my favorite place to have tea before work, and found my favorite seat right by the window. I love being able to watch people as they carry about their day, and because this coffee shop is on commercial drive there is never a lack of interesting people to observe. So I got my cranberry muffin and a london fog, and sat down in my favorite chair while ready to watch the crowd making its way to work. As I prepare to bring out my book, a man sits down in the chair across from me. We sat in silence for a short while, the stranger allowing me to take his presence. I am not afraid, I am comfortable in the silence that this stranger brings. As I look at this stranger, I realise that I have seen him before, on Wednesday in fact. Two days ago.

The stranger recognises the realisation in my eyes, and begins, "I am Rumi"
"I know, I have been waiting for you"

I looked at this stranger, as he began to speak and I could feel my soul rejoicing at finding this man. I have known him well, in a previous life perhaps? The details are unimportant. My heart began to ache as Rumi spoke, it was as if the words had a stream line straight to my heart. We often took breaks in silence and then Rumi would repeat himself as I held onto my heart strings, just trying to experience the impact of his words. The more I listened, the more I learned and more I fell in love with my new friend. Is it possible to fall in love with someone after one meeting? I felt a little silly sitting in my cafe with my half eaten muffin, unabashedly consumed by this mysterious person, this person I know and don't know at the same time, this Rumi.

"I need to think about this, I am overwhelmed" I say
"Let love lead your soul. Make it a place to retire to, a kind of cave, a retreat for the deep core of being", Rumi.
I sigh and look out the window, welcoming the strangers walking by, into my experience of that moment. I am not sure what to say. Following my eyes to the street, Rumi replys, "We watch a sunlight dust dance, and we try to be that lively, but no one knows what music those particles hear. Each of us has a secret companion musician to dance to. Unique rhythmic play, a motion in the street we alone know and hear."
"I must go to work now" I say, my words sounding rough and entangled compared to the ones I spent the last hour recieving.
"I want to be where your bare foot walks, because maybe before you step, you'll look at the ground. I want that blessing."

Our eyes meet. I grab my things and am gone.

No comments: