It is interesting to see what kind of a person I can be when I am in a different place. At the base of it all I know I am still me, still the same soul. This evening I participated in an art show. It is one of those shows that is great because the observer is part of the performance. This artist is great, I really like him, he is an artist, without pretension, he just creates and in turn puts himself on display for others to agree with or take offense to. Half way through the show some cops came, they said that his work was offensive and made him, with a sharpe, scribble out the offensive parts that were displayed outside the gallery on a poster. They were a part of the performance also, they did not realise it though. Made for interesting conversation.
I like art for the controversy that it creates, like dance, trying to expand our minds. Creating a revolution. Olympia, is my favorite example of this. She is a beautiful painting, considered pornography in her day, she looked men and women in the eye unashamed of her nudity. Unashamed of her position in society, looking the viewer in the eye, making them question their own beliefs. I am sure that if there were sharpes when she was painted a censorship would have taken place. JUst like the great castration, A time when the Church went and broke the genitalia off of all male nudes sculptures. I love Art and I love controversy, they are so beautiful. So important in our history, in our culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment