Thursday, June 16, 2011

what is is right. - Alexander Pope.

There are lots of reasons and few excuses.

People are ignorant and fearful. Well, yesterday they were. I wasn't surprised and as a result I was not afraid. My life wasn't in danger. That being said I made it home by 9pm. I had friends looking out for me.

I would like to make some definitive conclusion about the nature of humans, or to use the other side of my education to explain the social conditions that caused the behaviour of men (universally) yesterday. Today I am curious. Is it the nature of the man that I am looking for or a sick fascination with violence. In our privilege we look at violence and hunger as excitement, entertainment and points of curiosity. We post it on the internet to share with others; drawing them into our fear, trying to incite more.

Are these people evil? No. Are their intentions? Yes. Are they misguided? Yes.

I lost sleep over this last night. I woke up in the morning wondering if my city was still standing. I guess physically it remains but emotionally she is wounded.

Maybe it is our generation, we grow up watching violence on TV as if it were something safe. I obviously do not know the answer.

This was not about hockey. That much I am sure of.

No comments: