Monday, October 12, 2009

House of Gospel and Blues

I love gospel music!

Yesterday I went to the Sunday morning gospel set at the Dixie Land Jazz Festival in Surrey. It was phenomenal. I really love music, which is something that you would probably know by now, if I love a song I will listen to it repeatedly for hours. Black Swan, was the band featured at the gospel set and their lead singer was Merilyn Keller. Merilyn from Oregon, sings with a band of old white men and she is a wonderful black woman, who I am sure could out sing some of the greatest. I really love gospel music, but what I love even more is being able to dance to it, its like everything lines up perfectly in this combination of movement and music. So Merilyn sang Amazing Grace, a song that I think is a little over rated, by the end of the dance/song I was almost in tears it was so beautiful. She sang that song straight from the heart and you could tell. It was also cute because she dedicated the song to Jenny Legon (sp?), a woman who lives in Vancouver and used to dance with the greats of the 20 and 30s, she was even in the movie Stormy Weather, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBb9hTyLjfM . This clip isnt of her it is actually of the Nicholas Brothers, Jenny isnt on YouTube.

All in all I would have to say it was a great Sunday morning.

No comments: