Monday, January 17, 2011

the human genius

So if you do not know by now I have embarked on the fateful path that will lead my to my BA. Assuming you read that correctly I have returned to school for the final performance. One thing that is has helped me to remember is how much I enjoy learning. I always knew this, but to be immersed in a educational atmosphere can really remind a person of such things. Even if that person disagrees with the fundamental principles of the organization and the way it is structured. :)

One of the classes that I am taking is called Religion In Context, and my required reading is a dense philosophy book 'The Religious Sense', written by an Italian Catholic Priest employed at the Vatican named Luigi Giussani. What I read today really intrigued me. The author spoke about intuition, and about how how it is logical and reasonable to use intuition to perceive the world. Examples used talked about how you can not measure or quantify a mothers love for her child, things like feelings can not be measured but are as real as the computer I type on. Obviously this is an over simplification of his argument, but he took this premise and applied it to faith. Another interesting fact is he did not say what faith or has he even mentioned a God of any kind.

I wish that the people who make the church, who convert the folds, who are essentially the face that the majority of us commoners see of the church. Were required to have a philosophy degree. Not at one point in my time as a Catholic, was such an idea touched upon. Not to say that these people did not have good hearts but the people talking with authority do not understand what they preach.

I consider myself and person who intuits the world, which brings me a greater appreciation for this author.

"This is the human genius, the genius that is able to read the truth of behaviour, of the man's way of life. The more powerfully human one is, the more one is able to perceive with certainty." (Giussani, 20)

This sentence touches upon what I would call the meaning of life, according to Claudia. To become fulling whole, to be a person without Samakaras, without a veil covering our eyes to the truth. Giussani used, powerfully human, when I read it I hear, the truth that lies at the core of every persons being. The person we are truly supposed to be. I guess once we hit that, we are enlightened? in heaven? I dont really know and am not sure that I need to. When we reach that place, I think that we will meet God.

FYI, I have to write Journal entry's for this class, so I am not procrastinating at all with this blog post. :)

No comments: