Tuesday, December 16, 2008

late nights

So this past weekend, my wonderful Seattle friends came up to Vancouver for a visit, Leah, Steven, Everett and Laura (who I met the day she arrived at my home). All four of these people I feel are genuinely good people. I think it is getting harder in this life to find really good, kind people. Most individuals have a reason for acting kind, because they were told by their parents or because it will give them salvation. I feel like my little group of friends were just born with an innate sense of goodness. I remember from a course that I took there was a catholic philosopher who talked about human beings and one of the first things he argued was that all human beings are inherently good. Of course we discussed this in great depth, whether or not individuals are born 'good'. However this group of friends really makes me feel that this nameless philosopher was correct.

If you want to feel better, do something for someone else. It is a really good piece of wisdom, we get so wrapped up in ourselves that doing things for others is so important to help save the soul from the bubble wrap that we put it in. Right now we are living in a 'me' time, everything is about me, myself and I. What about the people around you get mad at, laugh with, ignore? People always say that you need to take care of yourself before you can take care of others, which I think to an extent is true. You need to find balance in your life, other wise you are of no help to others. However, service is such an important thing, and not just service that is easy, service that makes you uncomfortable and forces you to give up something that you like for a little while. It is a beautiful humbling experience (humble seems to be a trend these days).

That is one thing I really like about catholicism, this wonderful sense of service. Service without the hopes of getting anything in return, just because it is the right thing to do. It is funny because as I write this I am thinking about a book of love languages. It talks about how there are four love languages and that you need to find the language that your love most connects with and honor them that way. If you want to know what your love language is you just need to look at how you show love. I havent read this book, but I am almost 100% sure that I show love through acts of service. The four kinds are acts of service, gifts, touch, and quality time, just listen to my little rant and think about how I show affection.

Giving up time is the most precious thing to me, so to give my time to another is more valuable than touch, gifts or quality time. All these things are very important, I am pritty sure I like all the next three equally but acts of service wins the gold medal. For example, right now it is 1:20am and I just stayed up cleaning and reorganizing the house so that it would be nice and clean for Monica. Although I am pritty sure she doesnt really care, quality time is more her kind of love.

No comments: