Saturday, December 6, 2008

without words

So I have a confession, I have been a bad yoga student since arriving home from my training in LA. I havent practiced nearly as much as I should or would like to, I also havent been doing any of my home work.

Last weekend I did 10 yoga classes for the 24 hr relay, which was great, however it was a yoga binge. I did not contiune going to classes after that, until 1pm this afternoon and the class today changed my life. I know you think I am being dramatic, but I dont care because your the one reading my blog. Twee, a student of my teacher Shiva Rae, is in town doing a workshop at Semperviva and I was fortunate enough to get my shift covered and go to her class. Now one thing that you have to understand about Shiva Rae is that her classes are unlike anything offered in this fair city of ours. They are dynamic, volitile, beautiful, expressions of the human body, they are prayers and they are wonderful. Twee is Shiva's student and she does not dissapoint. I was brought to tears twice during this class, I even called work to tell them I was going to be a hour late tomorrow because Twee is teaching again tomorrow. I wish that I were able to articulate better the magnitude of this class because I am not able to comprehend it in words. One thing say is what a beautiful job Twee did of encorperating philosophy into her class. I was able to learn so much. It is not that she just in talked about philosophy but she made us move and breathe it, every pose refected a struggle inside ourselves or an expression of the self or a hindu god.

During the class or after the class I am not sure when, I was compelled for the first time to purchase maala beads. Maala beads is a string of 108 beads that are used during meditation. A person is supposed to repeat a mantra 108 times moving thier fingers along the beads so that they can go into a meditative transe and not worry about counting. I have wanted to purchase these beads before but, I always felt like a poser. I was not ready for them, and they were not ready for me. When I got home today, for the first time I was able to meditate with my beads.

Tomorrow Twee is teaching a water class, another thing with my training is we learnt how to structure classes around the five elements. When I was away, water classes were my essence, they were perfect for me. There is no other class that I connected with so quickly and there is no other teacher in our area that teaches this style. This is why I am going into work late, when there is a class refecting your essence and you dont know the next time you are able to take one is, you go to the class. I will let you know tomorrow how the class was, Hayley is coming as well. I am really excited for her to experience this class, I want her to understand, it is going to blow her mind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like you, claudia.