Wednesday, June 17, 2009

phenomenal woman

One thing that I really like about being a woman, is our ability to group together to help one another. For some reason that is not as common with men, I am not sure the reason why, what programing we have given them to make it difficult for them to open up to each other. The reason that I make this comparison is because a friend of mind was very recently diagnosed with breast cancer. It is a little unreal to tell you the truth. The first thing that came to my mind as I listened to her message was, what can I do to help, how can I support her. When you look at all the things that are done to raise awareness for breast cancer it is overwhelming. The weekend to end breast cancer, countless runs, free examinations given by doctors. However when you look at prostate cancer there is much less awareness, smaller events. Maybe I am not as aware of them because I am female and I dont put my attention there. I am not so sure though.

Recently I have also become closer with my friend Sherry, I have found in her a good companion. Whenever we hang out we end up on crazy adventures where everything is fun. When it is just the two of us on these adventures we always end up in the most interesting conversations. She knows so much about me in the short time that we have been friends. She was one of the people that went to see Ruthie Foster and the Blind Boys of Alabama with me. Ruthie sang this song and it is the title for this post, Phenomenal Woman based on a poem by Maya Angelou. It is a really beautiful song. I am a lyrics person, I love the poetry that is offered to us through the vibration of music. I think that it is the most powerful thing ever. Ruthie Foster also happens to have one of the most beautiful soulful spiritual voices ever, which helps.


Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.

I say,It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.

I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.

Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say, It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.

When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say, It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.

When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say, It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

No comments: