Thursday, June 18, 2009

What, draw, and talk of peace?

I stole these from Dusty, I can not claim any hard work other than copy and pasting. However I liked them and wanted to pass them on. My favorite two are the first and last.

Life had offered these people its lips, but as they dragged from party to party, seeing the same faces and saying the same things night after night, I saw it was the kiss of death; I saw how much was enervated and useless in them. What passion or desire or hunger did they have as they lounged in their London living rooms? -- The Buddha of Suburbia / Hanif Kureishi

[Imagination]...You would suppose that it imparted some glad hope to spring, some fine charm to summer, some tranquil joy to autumn, some consolation to winter, which you do not feel. An illusion, of course; but the fanatics cling to their dream, and would not give it up for gold. -- Shirley // Charlotte Bronte

Marriage! I cannot bear the word: it sounds so silly and utopian. I have settled it decidedly that marriage and love are superfluities, intended only for the rich, who live at ease, and have no need to take thought for the morrow; or desperations - the last and reckless joy of the deeply wretched, who never hope to rise out of the slough of their utter poverty. -- Shirley // Charlotte Bronte

They are great fools for their pains. For those who are not hungry, it is easy to palaver about the degradation of charity, and so on; but they forget the brevity of life, as well as its bitterness. We have none of us long to live. Let us help each other through seasons of want and woe as well as we can, without heeding in the least the scruples of vain philosophy -- Shirley // Charlotte Bronte

No comments: